Two-factor authentication (or Multi-factor authentication) increases the security of your BIMcollab space account by requiring two pieces of evidence to verify your identity.
When enabled, a user will be required to provide both a password as well as a verification code provided by an authentication app.
In order to make use of two-factor authentication to access a BIMcollab space, you will need the following items:
- Access to a private BIMcollab Nexus space (Two-factor authentication is not available for free projects on join.bimcollab.com)
An authentication app on your phone
The following free authentication apps have been verified to work with BIMcollab:
- Microsoft Authenticator (iOS and Android)
- Google Authenticator (iOS and Android)
BIMcollab's two-factor authentication makes use of the widely used TOTP standard. This standard is supported by many other authentication apps which are also freely available and can be used with BIMcollab.
BIMcollab Zoom version 5.3.29 or more recent, BCF Managers version 5.6.49 or more recent
Before enabling two-factor authentication, please note that this kind of identification works through an identity server.
Only the most recent versions of BIMcollab Zoom and the BCF Managers support this way of identification. You will not be able to connect to a project on BIMcollab Nexus from older versions when two-factor authentication is enabled for the space.
We recommend to wait to enforce two-factor authentication space-wide until all connected applications used by your users are updated. Until that time, allow users to choose for themselves if they want to enable the feature.
Enable two-factor authentication for your account
Two-factor authentication is a setting for private BIMcollab Nexus spaces, and needs to be enabled separately for every private space you are a part of. To enable the setting for your account, follow these steps:
- In BIMcollab Nexus, click on your avatar, and choose 'My account'
- Under Security, enable the 'Two-factor authentication' toggle
On your mobile phone, open your authentication app
For example: Microsoft Authenticator on iOS
- Click on the '+' icon in the top right corner
- Choose 'Other'
- Scan the QR code which is shown in BIMcollab Nexus
- The app will show a verification code, enter the code in BIMcollab Nexus
- Once two-factor authentication is enabled, you will receive a onetime recovery code. This code can be used to access the BIMcollab space in case you are not in possession of your phone.
Save this code in a secure location, and do not share it with anyone.
Enforce two-factor authentication (Connected and Enterprise)
Space administrators in Connected and Enterprise spaces can enforce the use of two-factor authentication in a space. In this case, the users will not have to enable the setting separately for their own account. They will be required to connect an authentication app to their account when they set their password for the first time.
- Go to the Administration dashboard by clicking on the gear icon in the top right corner
- On the Subscription page, click 'Space settings'
- For 'Two-factor Authentication', choose 'Enforced for all users'
- Click 'OK' to save the settings
Log in with two-factor authentication
Once enabled, the login process will be as follows:
- Enter your email address and password, and click 'Log in'
- On your mobile phone, open your authentication app
- Enter the verification code that is shown in the app into the BIMcollab Nexus Authenticate window
Optionally, you can check 'Remember me on this device'. Next time, no verification code will be necessary to log in.
- Click on 'Authenticate'
In a private BIMcollab Nexus space, you can define several space settings as an administrator. To edit these settings follow these steps: Go to the Administration dashboard by clicking on the gear icon in the top right corner If you do not see the ...
BIMcollab Space account
In the BIMcollab ecosystem, there are two different kinds of accounts. Your BIMcollab ID An overarching, personal account, which contains your personal information. For more information, consult the article My BIMcollab ID. Space account An account ...
Why do I lose my section box when creating issues in Navisworks?
In Navisworks, the sectioning tools have two different modes: section planes and section box. The BCF Manager only supports Navisworks section planes. That means, if the section is created by the section box in Navisworks, it will not be saved in the ...
Colors of issues based on their status
The title of issues in BIMcollab Nexus, BCF Managers, and BIMcollab Zoom will be in different color based on their progress status. Read more about approval workflow and progress status in Classifying and Structuring Issues. The issues can have the ...
On-premise BIMcollab space - Preparation of a Microsoft Windows server
The document in the attachment of this article contains a guide how to properly prepare a Microsoft Windows server, to be used to host your on-premise BIMcollab space. The preparation needs to be completed before the BIMcollab team can install the ...