Two-factor authentication (or Multi-factor authentication) increases the security of your BIMcollab space account by requiring two pieces of evidence to verify your identity.
When enabled, a user will be required to provide both a password as well as a verification code provided by an authentication app.
In order to make use of two-factor authentication to access a BIMcollab space, you will need the following items:
- Access to a private BIMcollab Cloud space (Two-factor authentication is not available for free projects on join.bimcollab.com)
An authentication app on your phone
The following free authentication apps have been verified to work with BIMcollab:
- Microsoft Authenticator (iOS and Android)
- Google Authenticator (iOS and Android)
BIMcollab's two-factor authentication makes use of the widely used TOTP standard. This standard is supported by many other authentication apps which are also freely available and can be used with BIMcollab.
BIMcollab ZOOM version 5.3.29 or more recent, BCF Managers version 5.6.49 or more recent
Before enabling two-factor authentication, please note that this kind of identification works through an identity server.
Only the most recent versions of BIMcollab ZOOM and the BCF Managers support this way of identification. You will not be able to connect to a project on BIMcollab Cloud from older versions when two-factor authentication is enabled for the space.
We recommend to wait to enforce two-factor authentication space-wide until all connected applications used by your users are updated. Until that time, allow users to choose for themselves if they want to enable the feature.
Enable two-factor authentication for your account
Two-factor authentication is a setting for private BIMcollab Cloud spaces, and needs to be enabled separately for every private space you are a part of. To enable the setting for your account, follow these steps:
- In BIMcollab Cloud, go to Settings > My account
- Under Security, enable the 'Two-factor authentication' toggle
On your mobile phone, open your authentication app
For example: Microsoft Authenticator on iOS
- Click on the '+' icon in the top right corner
- Choose 'Other'
- Scan the QR code which is shown in BIMcollab Cloud
- The app will show a verification code, enter the code in BIMcollab Cloud
- Once two-factor authentication is enabled, you will receive a onetime recovery code. This code can be used to access the BIMcollab space in case you are not in possession of your phone.
Save this code in a secure location, and do not share it with anyone.
Enforce two-factor authentication (Connected and Enterprise)
Space administrators in Connected and Enterprise spaces can enforce the use of two-factor authentication in a space. In this case, the users will not have to enable the setting separately for their own account. They will be required to connect an authentication app to their account when they set their password for the first time.
- Go to the Administration dashboard by clicking Settings > Administration
- On the dashboard, click 'Space settings'
- For 'Two-factor Authentication', choose 'Enforced for all users'
- Click 'OK' to save the settings
Log in with two-factor authentication
Once enabled, the login process will be as follows:
- Enter your email address and password, and click 'Log in'
- On your mobile phone, open your authentication app
- Enter the verification code that is shown in the app into the BIMcollab Cloud Authenticate window
Optionally, you can check 'Remember me on this device'. Next time, no verification code will be necessary to log in.
- Click on 'Authenticate'
In a private BIMcollab Cloud space, you can define several space settings as an administrator. To edit these settings follow these steps: Go to the Administration dashboard by clicking on the settings icon and selecting 'Administration' On the ...
Colors of issues based on their status
The title of issues in BIMcollab Cloud, BCF Managers, and BIMcollab ZOOM will be in different color based on their progress status. Read more about approval workflow and progress status in Classifying and Structuring Issues. The issues can have the ...
When importing issues from BCF or CSV files, imported issues could be brought in assigned to a user that hasn't yet been added to the project. This user is added to the Users list of your space as a 'Pending User' and will be shown greyed-out in the ...
Roles within the BIMcollab environment
Roles define user rights that (dis)allow team members to perform actions on the space. There are two different roles on space level: Administrator: can manage users and projects as well as the subscription information Users: by default do not have ...
BIMcollab Space account
In the BIMcollab ecosystem, there are two different kinds of accounts. Your BIMcollab ID An overarching, personal account, which contains your personal information. For more information, consult the article My BIMcollab ID. Space account An account ...