Create a value dictionary to simplify IFC data with Smart Properties
When adding data to a BIM model, different languages, abbreviations and typos are inevitable. In order to smooth out these differences, Smart Properties help to get a predictable outcome for consistent model validation.
To be able to create and use Smart Properties in BIMcollab ZOOM, you need an active ZOOM license.
Smart Properties are currently only available in the Windows version of BIMcollab ZOOM.
In this example we will create a dictionary for all ways material names can occur in an IFC model, to untangle the data and achieve an unambiguous overview of material names.
Let's first create an overview of all Material names present in the loaded IFC files.
- Go to the Lists tab
- Create a new List with the name 'Overview material names'
- Choose 'Property table' as List type
- In the source set, add one line with the following settings: Any element, Material name, Is defined, Add
- In the properties, only select the Material name
- Save and execute the list
- In the List results panel, enable the 'Merge uniform rows' option
This results in a list of all the different Material names present in the loaded IFC files, with one material name per row. The list results can remain displayed while you are creating the new Smart Property, to refer to the correct names in the following steps.
- Create a new Smart Property
- Add a line with these settings:
- Element type : Any element
- Property: Material name
- Operator: One Of
- Value: add all material names which occur in the model and should be combined into a single value, separated by commas.
For example: wood, Holz, Hout, woods, WD
- Action: Set value
- Output: Add the new value for the material name which will replace all values added in the 'Value' field. For example 'Wood'
- Repeat step 2 until all material names are covered
- Save the Smart Property
The new Smart Property will be present for every component for which the property 'Material name' is available. The value is defined by the rules set in the Smart Property.
Smart Properties in BIMcollab ZOOM are user-defined properties, based on existing object attributes. They help you to reorganize and structure BIM data. When working with IFC files delivered by multiple authors, it is inevitable that they contain ...
The different types of actions for Smart Properties
With Smart Properties, you can either map existing properties to a new property, or define a new property value for an element based on certain criteria. To be able to create Smart Properties in BIMcollab ZOOM, you need an active ZOOM license. Smart ...
Edit Smart Properties as CSV files
When creating a Smart Property to structure the data in IFC files, a lot of input might be required to define the property completely. In order to make this process easier, Smart Properties can also be imported, exported and edited as CSV files. To ...
IFC data validation with Smart views
Smart views can be used in a variety of ways: to visualize properties, to check if your model complies to IDM (Information Delivery Manual) agreements, or to filter certain elements. Example In this example we will create a Smart view to visualize ...
New release: Smart Properties | 09-06-2022
With the new version of BIMcollab ZOOM being released on June 9th 2022, Smart Properties are ready to use! With Smart Properties you can easily re-organize and structure BIM data to your needs for consistent model validation. We believe this feature ...