Smart Properties in BIMcollab ZOOM are user-defined properties, based on existing object attributes. They help you to reorganize and structure BIM data.
When working with IFC files delivered by multiple authors, it is inevitable that they contain different terminology. This can dramatically limit the flow of information and hinder model validation.
In a BIM project, these are some things that can contribute to this:
- Different models contain different languages, abbreviations or typos, resulting in multiple ways of writing the same value.
- Values can be found in different properties for different elements. For example, for one element, 'Volume' is defined in base quantities, while for another element it is under dimensions.
To address these limitations, Smart Properties help you to structure and reorganize the BIM data in your models.
- Enrich the models by creating your own properties, based on existing object attributes.
- Adjust values present in the model to chosen, unambiguous values.
- There is no need to constantly ask authors to create new models with correct values.
- Smart Properties can be used in Smart views, Clash rules and Lists, just like regular properties. The Smart Properties are managed centrally, so it is not necessary to set up this information in multiple locations.
- Smart properties are dynamic: when the models change, the properties change along with them and are automatically applied to new and changes components in the loaded models.
All of this results in a predictable outcome for consistent model validation.
To be able to create and use Smart Properties in BIMcollab ZOOM, you need an active ZOOM license.
Smart Properties are currently only available in the Windows version of BIMcollab ZOOM.
Creating a new Smart Property
Open the models for which you want to create Smart Properties.
- Go to Validate > Smart Properties to open the Smart Properties panel.
- Click on 'Local' and select a Smart Property set in which you want to create the new property.
If necessary, you can create a new Smart Property set by clicking the [+] button, or by right clicking on 'Local', and choosing 'Add Smart Property set'. Give the set a clear and unique name so it is easy to recognize as part of the Smart Properties. It will appear as a property set in other locations within BIMcollab ZOOM, like Smart views, Lists and the property panel of a selected element.
The new set will be automatically selected once created.
- Click the [+] button again to create a new Smart Property in the selected set.
- Give the Smart Property a clear name.
- Define a set of rules to determine which properties or values will be added to the new property. Add rules by clicking on the button, delete existing rules with the button, or duplicate existing rules by clicking on the button.
Each rule consists of:
- An element type
- A Property, Operator and Value to further filter out elements with a specific property value
- An action which defines whether the selected property will be mapped to the new property, or whether a new value should be set for the selected elements.
For more information on the difference between 'Map value' and 'Set value', consult the article The different types of actions for Smart Properties.
The output to determine the result
- Provide the Smart Property with a clear description so its purpose is easily identifiable.
- Click 'Save'.
Once the Smart Property has been created, you can find the property set in the property panel of all components for which the property is valid. For every Smart Property set, a new tab will be added, and the Smart Properties of the set will be located in the property grid of the tab.
New release: Smart Properties | 09-06-2022
With the new version of BIMcollab ZOOM being released on June 9th 2022, Smart Properties are ready to use! With Smart Properties you can easily re-organize and structure BIM data to your needs for consistent model validation. We believe this feature ...
Where can Smart Properties be used?
Smart Properties are available in BIMcollab ZOOM as if they are native properties. They are usable in all other functions of BIMcollab ZOOM, like Smart views, Clash rules, Lists and any other place where IFC properties can be found. To be able to ...
Edit Smart Properties as CSV files
When creating a Smart Property to structure the data in IFC files, a lot of input might be required to define the property completely. In order to make this process easier, Smart Properties can also be imported, exported and edited as CSV files. To ...
The different types of actions for Smart Properties
With Smart Properties, you can either map existing properties to a new property, or define a new property value for an element based on certain criteria. To be able to create Smart Properties in BIMcollab ZOOM, you need an active ZOOM license. Smart ...
Create a value dictionary to simplify IFC data with Smart Properties
When adding data to a BIM model, different languages, abbreviations and typos are inevitable. In order to smooth out these differences, Smart Properties help to get a predictable outcome for consistent model validation. To be able to create and use ...