Quick Start Guide BIMcollab ZOOM
Find a printable version as attachment
This Quick Start Guide describes the work environment and functionalities of BIMcollab ZOOM. It will get you up and running in no time.
If you have not yet installed it, download and install BIMcollab ZOOM first
With BIMcollab ZOOM you can:
- Open one or more IFC files and point clouds and navigate through the federated model
- Browse through the IFC properties and perform manual and automatic quality checks
- Retrieve IFC data and quantities from the models
- Evaluate BIMcollab issues in team meetings with the models at hand and let reviewers easily join the process of issue-management
Connect to a project on BIMcollab Cloud
Added functionalities of connecting to a project on BIMcollab Cloud include:
- Making sure all team members are working with the latest model versions at all times with the Project folder functionality
- Centralizing all communication about a project in the cloud by synchronizing issues to the project
- Keeping track of the status of clashes with Smart Issues
- Sharing smart views, clashes and list definitions with your whole team
- Sharing IFC data and quantities retrieved from the model with the whole team
Working with IFC and Point cloud models
- Easily load, unload and update the models in your project. Read more about about loading files
- Load IFC files automatically and ensure all members have access to the latest files by setting up a shared Project folder
- Give prefixes to files to organize the models. Read more about sorting models
Tree views in the Navigation tab
The tree views offer insight in the structure of models and the components they contain. Sort and group the tree view based on:
Model tree, grouped per loaded IFC model
- Type tree, grouped by object types, combined from all models
Right-click items in the tree on any level to show additional options, like showing or hiding items, and adding color to them.
Double-click on an item in the tree to zoom to it.
- Review all IFC properties of any component selected in the 3D window or in the IFC tree
- The summary tab shows most the important properties in one overview
- Right-click on any selected property to show or hide components with similar values
- Right-click on file paths or hyperlinks to open directly in browser or file viewer
- Open E57 or text based files to visualize point clouds in ZOOM
- Combine with IFC to check ‘as-built’ against ‘as-designed’
- Point clouds can be colored, sectioned and visualized in the same way as IFC files
For large point clouds you can use the partial loading feature to increase performance. Do this by right clicking the file in the tree.
Mouse and keyboard bindings
- Add Text, Lines, Arrows, Circles, Rectangles or Clouds to your 3D views to emphasize specific areas of interest
- Annotations are created in the plane clicked
Hold SHIFT to place annotations in the plane facing the camera
- Select annotations to change properties like line-thickness, color and arrow
- Change size with the grips or drag to move them in their plane. Use SHIFT to offset from that plane
- Annotations are saved with issues and can be uploaded to BIMcollab Cloud
- Annotate issues with the 3D dimensioning tool
- Move your cursor and hover above the starting point of your measurement
- Start at an edge, corner or a plane which will be indicated by the mouse cursor plus:
- Edges will be highlighted in red
- Corners will be indicated by a circle
- Planes will be indicated by a square
- Receive a preview of the measurement as you move the mouse cursor
- Highlight any component or set of components
- Colors will be saved with issues uploaded to BIMcollab or exported to a BCF file
- See colors stored in issues from other software
- Smart views allow you to define filters to show and color objects based on their properties
- Smart views can be used to quickly gain insight in the quality of the information in your BIM model based on requirements
- Use auto color to automatically classify components based on the values of the selected property
The legend can be used to interactively go through all materials, classifications, or any property you want
- Smart views can be shared with team members through BIMcollab synchronization, or they can be exported
- Use the Property listing of the auto color function (ZOOM feature, not a ZOOM Free feature) to quickly display the sum, average, min or max values for numerical properties of your project. ZOOM will list all properties based on your criteria and apply the operator of your choice.
Clash detection (requires a ZOOM license)
- Use clash detection to locate colliding or duplicated components. You can choose predefined groups of components and set tolerances
- ZOOM provides options to group your issues based on several properties and allows for three different visualization modes: default, selected, and schematic
- When reviewing results, use the batch generate issue to report multiple clashes or groups of clashes as issues
- Fully functional example rules can be used when connecting to the BIMcollab example project on join.bimcollab.com
Lists (requires a ZOOM license)
Lists are used to extract properties and quantities from IFC models and to share these results within a project. BIMcollab ZOOM users with a license
and ZOOM editing rights
can create and edit lists.
There are three types of lists:
- Property table
- Pivot grid
- Dashboard data (shared only)
Learn more about Lists
from the help center.
Sharing smart views, clash rules and lists
When you are connected to a project in BIMcollab, the Shared node becomes enabled. Rules within this node are stored on a project basis and are shared with the whole team.
Drag and drop rules or create them directly in the Shared node.
BIMcollab ZOOM users with ZOOM editing rights
can create smart views in the Shared node. To create clash rules and list definitions they also need a ZOOM license
- Connect to a project on BIMcollab Cloud or on join.bimcollab.com for the best experience. Alternatively, use the manual import of BCF files.
- Create new issues or review and manage existing ones directly from the 3D window. Publish all changes to BIMcollab Cloud.
- Manage issue properties by selecting type, area, label, milestone or status and assign issues to team members to follow up.
- All issue-management features of BIMcollab can be found in the issue tab, when connected to a project.
Smart Issues (requires a ZOOM license)
When connected to a project on BIMcollab Cloud, clashes found with the clash detection can be reported to Smart Issues
- Smart Issues know the clashes they represent, to which elements they belong, and what their status in BIMcollab ZOOM is.
- The 3D view in BIMcollab ZOOM gives feedback on whether the clash is still active or resolved when zooming to the issue, when you are using an active ZOOM license.
- The issues can automatically be updated according to the latest status of the clashes.
- Because the Smart Issues are shared in the cloud, it is impossible to accidentally report any already reported clashes, even if the same clash is detected across multiple clash rules.
Explore the example project in BIMcollab ZOOM
The BIMcollab example project consists of nine IFC models. Each model belongs to a different discipline and has been exported from a variety of BIM applications demonstrating the versatility of an openBIM workflow. The BIMcollab example project can ...
Browse through a federated model
BIMcollab ZOOM provides you with two different tree views which let you browse through the federated model’s IFC structure, find specific components and review those component’s properties. The Model Tree allows you to browse through the hierarchy of ...
Setting up your BIMcollab ZOOM Trial
BIMcollab ZOOM is a desktop IFC viewer for model validation. The full functionality of BIMcollab ZOOM can be unleashed by acquiring a full ZOOM license. This article will take you through the procedure to obtain a free 30-day trial of BIMcollab ZOOM ...
BIMcollab ZOOM login
First-time activation When you start BIMcollab ZOOM for the first time, you will be prompted to log in with your personal BIMcollab ID to activate the application. If you do not yet have a BIMcollab ID, you can directly create one from the login ...
Finding issues in BIMcollab ZOOM
By creating a combination of models (created by different disciplines) you can visually detect conflicts between these models. Next to this, ZOOM has Smart views that can automate identifying and coloring components based on defined or undefined ...