Power BI On-Premises Data Gateway Setup Guide for BIMcollab
In order to allow Power BI to perform scheduled refreshes on a BIMcollab data set when working with an on-premises BIMcollab space, it is necessary to locally install and configure an on-premises data gateway.
- Log into your online Power BI space and go to Download > Data Gateway
- Click 'Download standard mode' and run the installer on your on-premise server
- Install using the recommended options
- After installation, sign in to register the gateway with your space
- Provide the gateway with a unique name and recovery key
- Go to 'Connectors' and verify that the folder containing your custom connectors has been selected and that the BIMcollab connector is visible
If it is not visible then you must either:
- Go to 'Service Settings' and change the Gateway service account to one which has access to the custom connectors folder (you will need to sign in again)
- Change the permissions of the folder containing the custom connectors to allow access to the current gateway service account
- Go to 'Diagnostics', click 'Start new test' and verify the test completes successfully
- Log back into your online Power BI space and go to Settings > Manage Gateways
- Verify that your gateway is visible
- Add any additional information en check the 'Allow user’s cloud data sources…' and 'Allow user’s custom data connectors…' boxes. Click 'Apply'
- Click 'Add Data Sources to use the gateway'
- Give the data source a name and select 'BIMcollab Connector' as your data source type
- Enter your full BIMcollab space URL and select OAuth2 as your authentication method
Click on 'Edit Credentials' and sign into your space
Note: The account you sign in with MUST be a member of all projects you wish to retrieve data from
- Fill in your e-mail address and password of your BIMcollab account and press the Log in button
- The next screen will ask for your consent to allow Power BI to use the BIMcollab API services. Offline Access is required if you want Power BI to be able to refresh data without logging in again.
Click 'Yes, allow' to continue.
- Click 'Add'
- Go to 'Users' and make sure that all users who publish reports are added to the users list
- Go back to 'Data Source Settings' and click 'Test all connections' to verify the connection is working
- Go to your workspace and then to 'Datasets'
- Here you will find any datasets you previously published from Power BI. Hover over the dataset you wish to refresh, click on the menu dots and then select 'Schedule Refresh'
- Expand 'Gateway Connection' and enable 'Use a data gateway'
If there are multiple gateways available, then select the correct one
- Map the BIMcollab data source in the dataset to the data source previously created
- Click 'Apply'
- Go back to your workspace and then to 'Datasets'
- Hover over the data set, click on the menu dots and select 'Refresh Now'
- Return to Scheduled Refresh and click 'Refresh History
Verify that the refresh completed successfully
- Expand 'Scheduled refresh' and set up you refresh schedule
Installation Guide for Power BI connector
The Power BI connector for BIMcollab allows you to extract statistical data from BIMcollab Cloud in order to create fully customizable dashboards for your BIM team. Note: The connector is currently in the process of being certified by Microsoft to be ...
How to synchronize your BIMcollab space with the BIMcollab Power BI Dashboard Template
This article explains how to connect our Power BI Dashboard template file to your BIMcollab Cloud space. The template is an example. Once you have connected the template, you can adapt and customize it to suit your needs.. The Power BI template file, ...
Why is the BIMcollab Power BI Connector not certified?
Microsoft's certification program for Power BI connectors is restricted to more generic products who can demonstrate heavy data usage. BIMcollab does not yet meet that requirement. BIMcollab customers who wish to see our connector certified can post ...
Quick Start Guide BIMcollab Nexus
BIMcollab Nexus serves as a central hub for collaboration among construction and design teams involved in BIM projects. This platform facilitates seamless teamwork by enabling the collaborative management of BIM data, intricate models, and ...
Set your language of your BIMcollab account
My BIMcollab ID / Join.bimcollab.com Go directly to the My BIMcollab ID page. Or on join.bimcollab.com, click on your avatar, and choose 'My account', which redirect you to the My BIMcollab ID page Select the language you prefer under 'Preferences' ...