Power BI On-Premises Data Gateway Setup Guide for BIMcollab
In order to allow Power BI to perform scheduled refreshes on a BIMcollab data set when working with an on-premises BIMcollab space, it is necessary to locally install and configure an on-premises data gateway.
- Log into your online Power BI space and go to Download > Data Gateway
- Click 'Download standard mode' and run the installer on your on-premise server
- Install using the recommended options
- After installation, sign in to register the gateway with your space
- Provide the gateway with a unique name and recovery key
- Go to 'Connectors' and verify that the folder containing your custom connectors has been selected and that the BIMcollab connector is visible
If it is not visible then you must either:
- Go to 'Service Settings' and change the Gateway service account to one which has access to the custom connectors folder (you will need to sign in again)
- Change the permissions of the folder containing the custom connectors to allow access to the current gateway service account
- Go to 'Diagnostics', click 'Start new test' and verify the test completes successfully
- Log back into your online Power BI space and go to Settings > Manage Gateways
- Verify that your gateway is visible
- Add any additional information en check the 'Allow user’s cloud data sources…' and 'Allow user’s custom data connectors…' boxes. Click 'Apply'
- Click 'Add Data Sources to use the gateway'
- Give the data source a name and select 'BIMcollab Connector' as your data source type
- Enter your full BIMcollab space URL and select OAuth2 as your authentication method
Click on 'Edit Credentials' and sign into your space
Note: The account you sign in with MUST be a member of all projects you wish to retrieve data from
- Fill in your e-mail address and password of your BIMcollab account and press the Log in button
- The next screen will ask for your consent to allow Power BI to use the BIMcollab API services. Offline Access is required if you want Power BI to be able to refresh data without logging in again.
Click 'Yes, allow' to continue.
- Click 'Add'
- Go to 'Users' and make sure that all users who publish reports are added to the users list
- Go back to 'Data Source Settings' and click 'Test all connections' to verify the connection is working
- Go to your workspace and then to 'Datasets'
- Here you will find any datasets you previously published from Power BI. Hover over the dataset you wish to refresh, click on the menu dots and then select 'Schedule Refresh'
- Expand 'Gateway Connection' and enable 'Use a data gateway'
If there are multiple gateways available, then select the correct one
- Map the BIMcollab data source in the dataset to the data source previously created
- Click 'Apply'
- Go back to your workspace and then to 'Datasets'
- Hover over the data set, click on the menu dots and select 'Refresh Now'
- Return to Scheduled Refresh and click 'Refresh History
Verify that the refresh completed successfully
- Expand 'Scheduled refresh' and set up you refresh schedule
Installation Guide for Power BI connector
The Power BI connector for BIMcollab allows you to extract statistical data from BIMcollab Cloud in order to create fully customizable dashboards for your BIM team. Note: The connector is currently in the process of being certified by Microsoft to ...
How to synchronise your BIMcollab space with the BIMcollab Power BI Dashboard Template
This article explains how to connect our Power BI Dashboard template file to your BIMcollab Cloud space. The template is an example. Once you have connected the template, you can adjust it to your needs and customise it any way you want. You can find ...
Why is the BIMcollab Power BI Connector not certified?
Microsoft's certification program for Power BI connectors is restricted to more generic products who can demonstrate heavy data usage. BIMcollab does not yet meet that requirement. BIMcollab customers who wish to see our connector certified can post ...
Why was my issue data overwritten by Solibri?
This workflow only applies to Solibri 9.10 and earlier versions. From Solibri 9.12 onward, issues are synchronized automatically through the BCF Live Connector. When exporting changes to BIMcollab Cloud, the BCF Connector compares the versions of the ...
Quick Start Guide BCF Manager Revit
This Quick Start Guide describes the basic online workflow of the BCF Manager for Revit. It will get you up and running in no time. If you have not yet installed it, download and install the BCF Manager for Revit here. Online workflow BCF Manager ...