Step 4: Install Dropbox on your desktop
To be able to share and access the files via Dropbox, all team members should install the Dropbox desktop application on their computer. Once installed, the ‘BIMcollab’ folder will be available.
The folder can now be used to share models, IFC reference files, point clouds, PDF documents, etc.
We advise to not use the Dropbox 'online-only' mode. The BIMcollab folder is better synced locally to allow ZOOM to open your models on a bad or interrupted internet connection
Step 5: Open models in ZOOM
Start BIMcollab ZOOM and connect to the BIMcollab project with the Dropbox Integration.
If it is the first time you connect to your project since activating the integration, follow these steps:
- Go to File > Project Folder
- Under 'Shared project folders', you will see the Dropbox folder which is linked to the project
Enable the checkmark in front of this folder
- Click 'Share'
BIMcollab ZOOM will automatically detect the correct local Dropbox folder and adds any supported files, including IFC reference files and point clouds, to the navigation tree.
By default all models will be unloaded. However ZOOM will remember which files are loaded and automatically loads the same files the next time you connect to the project. This load-status is personal and can be different for each user.
When a model is given a prefix or moved/rotated, this will be stored in the project. After synchronizing with BIMcollab Cloud, these file-settings in the navigation-tree will be available for all team members. Synchronizing these file-settings to the cloud can only be done by project leaders.
We advise to prevent the use of move&rotate since they can make the use of viewpoints unreliable, Instead make sure models are positioned correctly in their authoring tools.
Updating, adding and removing models from your project
- When a new modelfile is placed in the project folder on Dropbox, Dropbox will take care of sharing this file with all team members. Next time you connect ZOOM to the BIMcollab project it will find the new file and adds it to the project. Same with removed files, they will be shown in red as ‘missing'.
- If files were added or removed while ZOOM is connected to the project, it won’t detect these automatically. Click on the synchronize button to renew the navigation-tree.
- When a loaded model is updated in the Dropbox project folder, ZOOM will detect that an update is available and highlights the model in the model tree. The user can reload the updated model any time he wishes by right-clicking the file.
- When files added to the navigation tree are not in the Dropbox folder, they will be added as “local files” (foldersymbol vs cloudsymbol). This means they won't be shared to the project and they are only visible for the user who added them.