How to publish BIM data to Power BI
Get Dashboard Data results from BIMcollab ZOOM in Power BI
With the Lists feature in BIMcollab ZOOM, you have the option to choose the type Dashboard Data. This Dashboard Data is useable in Power BI.
- Open BIMcollab ZOOM with an active license and connect to the preferred space and project
- Go to the Lists panel
- Select a List set in 'Shared', or create a new List set
- Create a List of the type Dashboard Data.
For more information on creating Lists, consult the article Setup Lists in BIMcollab ZOOM.
- Double click on the List to show the results, and make sure the Active Model results are active
- Hit the 'Share results' button.
The Dashboard Data is now synchronized to BIMcollab Cloud.
Dashboard Data cannot be viewed in BIMcollab Cloud. These results are meant to be used in Dashboard software like Power BI.
A List of the type Dashboard Data is only available in Connected and Enterprise plans.
Power BI (desktop)
For more information on the installation and use of the connection between BIMcollab and Power BI, consult the article Installation Guide for Power BI connector
When the connector has been installed, you can follow these steps to setup a dashboard from the List data.
- Open Power BI (desktop)
- Click the 'Get data' button from the home screen
- Select BIMcollab from the list 'Online Services', or use the search bar to quickly fin the correct connection.
- Choose 'Connect'
- Enter the url of the space you want to connect to and press 'OK'.
- If this is the first time you are connecting to the space or have not remained logged in, Power BI will ask you to sign in. Press the Sign in button. You will be redirected go to the BIMcollab login screen
- Sign in with your credentials for the BIMcollab space
- Give Power BI permission to connect to BIMcollab by clicking 'Yes, allow' in the next screen
- After having logged in, you will be redirected to Power BI. Click 'Connect'
- In the Navigator, you will get an overview of the projects in the space to which you connected. Navigate to the correct project, select the List you want to load in Power BI and click 'Load'
- Go to the window 'Fields' and check the boxes of the fields you want to show in the dashboard
Only properties which have been added to the List in BIMcollab ZOOM will be shown here
- Choose the preferred Visualizations and Filters
For example: If you only want to view the data from one model, drag the 'Summary.Model' property into the filter view, and select the model for which you want to visualize the data.
Update the results
When a model has been updated, added or removed in BIMcollab ZOOM, the data on the Power BI dashboard can be updated according to the new situation.
- Update the models in BIMcollab ZOOM
- Go to the Lists panel
- Right-click on the preferred dashboard data list and choose 'Run'.
- The data will be updated
- Hit the 'Share results' button
The results will be synchronized to BIMcollab Cloud
Power BI (desktop)
- Go back to Power BI
- Open the associated dashboard and make sure you are connected to the correct BIMcollab space
- Press the 'Refresh' button on the home screen
The updated data will be loaded.
In Power BI Pro, the updating can be set to happen automatically according to a schedule.
If the Lists don't show up in Power BI, make sure the following is correct:
- The latest version of the Power BI connector is installed. The Lists Feature isn't available in earlier versions of the connector.
- The type of List you synchronize from BIMcollab ZOOM is Dashboard Data.
The different types of Lists
When creating a list in BIMcollab ZOOM, you are able to choose between three different list types, each with its own usage goals. Once created, you will recognize them by the icons in front of the list names: for the property table, for the pivot ...
View shared results of Lists
When the results of a list have been shared by one of the team members, they can be viewed by the whole team in BIMcollab ZOOM and BIMcollab Cloud. For more information on how to share the results, consult the article Share results of Lists with my ...
Setup Lists in BIMcollab ZOOM
Lists are used to extract information from IFC models and to share these results within a project. BIMcollab ZOOM users with a license and ZOOM editing rights can create and edit lists. Creating a new List Start BIMcollab ZOOM with an active license ...
Share results of Lists with my team members
When a list is created in the shared node, its results can be shared in two ways. They can be either synchronized to BIMcollab Cloud, or exported to a file. Share the results via BIMcollab Cloud Start BIMcollab ZOOM with an active license Connect to ...
To be able to create and edit lists in BIMcollab ZOOM, two conditions need to be met: ZOOM license Lists are a ZOOM feature, not a ZOOM Free feature. You need to be logged in with a ZOOM license. Read this article how you purchase a ZOOM license and ...