ZOOM Nightshift reduces the time spent on clash management even further by performing repetitive tasks while you are away from your computer. It can automatically check new model versions, update Smart Issues and shared Lists in the cloud, so your issue overview is up to date when you start working.
It automates actions in ZOOM using JSON script files in combination with the Windows Task Scheduler.
The Windows Task Scheduler is a tool that allows to create and run any task on your computer automatically. It allows you to start applications, run commands and execute scripts. The tasks can either be executed at a chosen day and time or be triggered when a specific event occurs.
The Task Scheduler is available on all Microsoft Windows systems.
With Nightshift, you can automate the following action in BIMcollab ZOOM:
- Open models / Add to project
- Connect to project
- Filter issues
- Update issues
- Run and share all Lists
- Synchronize project
To run a script with ZOOM Nightshift, make sure you meet these requirements:
- You are using Windows
- You are using ZOOM 5.2 or more recent with an active license
- The space and project you want to connect to in ZOOM from the script is located in the list of recent projects and your credentials are remembered
- You have ZOOM editing rights in the project you connect to
Create a JSON script
Create a JSON script that indicates which actions should take place when ZOOM Nightshift is initiated. Save the file in a location of your choosing on your computer.
Note: Don't use any spaces in the name of the script file.
Configure a task in the Task Scheduler
Follow these steps to configure a task in the Task Scheduler to run ZOOM Nightshift:
Note: These steps describe the workflow in Windows 10
- Go to the Windows Start Menu
- Choose Windows Administrative Tools > Task Scheduler
- Create a separate folder to store your tasks for ZOOM Nightshift by right-clicking on the main folder in the Task Scheduler Library, and choosing 'New Folder...'
- Give the folder a clear and unique name
- Select the newly created folder
- Choose 'Create Basic Task...' in the Actions menu
- Give the task a name and description so the goal of the task is clear, and click 'Next'
- Indicate the trigger of the task
Depending on which trigger you chose, you will be asked to indicate a starting time for the first execution of the task and how often the task should take place
- In the 'Action' tab, choose the action 'Start a program'
- When you click 'Next' you will be asked to browse to the program or script you want to execute
Browse to the executable file of BIMcollab ZOOM at C:\Program Files\KUBUS\BIMcollab ZOOM\BIMcollab ZOOM.exe
- In the 'Add arguments (optional)' field, add "-robotscript=" followed by the filepath of the JSON script file
For example: "-robotscript=C:\User\Username\Desktop\Nightshift.JSON"
- Check all parameters of the task in the Finish dialog, and click 'Finish'
- The task will be run at the indicated times of the task triggers
You can always edit the parameters of the task by right-clicking on the task in the Scheduler and choosing 'Properties'.
Would you like to run the created task immediately, instead of waiting for the scheduled time to hit?
For example, you received new models in the morning, and would like to update the issues of the project during your lunchbreak to continue working in the afternoon.
To do this you can create a shortcut for the task, to start running it in an instant.
- Find a place on your computer where you want to create the shortcut to the task, for example on your desktop for easy access
- Right click in the folder, and choose New > Shortcut
- Under 'Type location of the item', enter:
C:\Windows\System32\schtasks.exe /run /tn "TaskName"
- Replace "TaskName" with the "name of the folder\name of the task" in the Task Scheduler
With the example below, the location would look like : C:\Windows\System32\schtasks.exe /run /tn "ZOOM Nightshift\Update Smart Issues Example Project"
- Click 'Next'
- Give the shortcut a name, and click 'Finish'
The shortcut will be placed in the location where you created it. You can double click it at any time to start running the task immediately.
Follow up on the status of the task
Once the task has run, you can check whether all actions were performed successfully in the Nightshift logfile.
All logfiles are located at C:\Users\<USER>\AppData\Roaming\KUBUS\BIMcollab ZOOM\Nightshift.
Replace <USER> with the name of your own user profile in windows.
The AppData folder is a hidden folder by default. Display the hidden folders in the File Explorer to navigate to the correct location.